Making a complaint

Talk to us about your health and care experience

NHS and social care services complaints in Gloucestershire

The right to complain about unsatisfactory service is a key consumer right. The NHS constitution makes a pledge to encourage and welcome feedback on health and care experiences and to use this feedback to improve services.

We know that it is not always easy to find the information you need to make a complaint, so below you can find our guide to making health and care complaints in Gloucestershire.

If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact us

Guidance and practical resources

Advice on making a complaint

Healthwatch England has worked with Citizens Advice to produce a series of guides to help you make a complaint or raise a concern about health and social care services. You can find out more about what’s involved in making a complaint and see what your next steps might be.

There are tips, tools and practical resources to support you to make an effective complaint.

Contact us if you need more information about this service.

Making a complaint

Guidance and resources from Citizens Advice

Advocacy support and guidance

Independent Health and Social Care Advocacy

If you need support and guidance through the process of making a complaint about your NHS health care, you can contact POhWER.

POhWER deliver a combination of statutory advocacy roles for people who live in Gloucestershire:

  • Independent Care Act Advocacy (ICAA)
  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)
  • Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)
  • Independent Health Complaints Advocacy (IHCA)
  • Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR)

POhWER can support and guide you through the process of making a formal complaint.  An advocate patiently listens to you, helps you to understand and explains your options and choices.  The POhWER advocate ensures you have the support you need to make an informed choice and get the help and support you need to complain about NHS health or social care services.  The service is free, independent and confidential.

Gloucestershire Independent Advocacy Leaflet

Access independent advocacy services from POhWER

Gloucestershire Children’s Advocacy

Barnardo’s in Gloucestershire (BiG) provides a number of services to children, young people and their families living in Gloucestershire including advocacy for:

  • Looked after Children and Care Leavers
  • Children and young people with Disabilities
  • Children and young people who are subject to Child Protection Conference.
  • Children and young people wishing to make a complaint about a service from social care
  • Advocates provide short term task-centred advocacy to ensure a young person’s voice is heard when plans and decisions are being made about them.

Access local support from Barnardo’s

Drug, Alcohol and Substance Misuse Advocacy

Caring for Communities and People (CCP) exists to improve the lives of children, young people, families and vulnerable adults who have multiple and complex needs. Their priority is to those who have been excluded or have excluded themselves from mainstream services.

CCP work in partnership with the person and other agencies to empower clients with substance misuse to change their lives for the better and to become determined and independent individuals.  The overall aim of Advocacy is to equip service users with the tools to own the process, from knowledge of their own rights, making their own decisions, to representing themselves.  The service is free, independent and confidential.

Access independent advocacy services from CCP

Where to direct your complaint

Local contact information

Below are the key contacts should you wish to raise a concern or make a formal complaint about a service you have received from one of the local NHS Trusts, the Clinical Commissioning Group or Gloucestershire Council.

In order to resolve your complaint effectively you should try to discuss your issue with the relevant local healthcare professional or social care manager before making your complaint official.

NHS health complaints

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

PALS office
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
Great Western Road

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Telephone: 0800 019 3282

Community Health and Care Services

Community Health and Care Services

Service Experience Team
Edward Jenner Court
1010 Pioneer Avenue
Gloucester Business Park

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

Telephone:0300 421 8313

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Sanger House
5220 Valiant Court
Gloucester Business Park

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday answering service

Telephone: 0800 0151 548 or 01452 566698

Mental health complaints

Social care complaints

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Patient Advice & Liaison Service

Service Experience Team

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm

Telephone: 01452 894072

Complaints Team

Complaints Team

Complaints Manager
Gloucestershire County Council
Shire Hall
Westgate Street

Office opening hours:
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm

Telephone: 01452 427082 (Adult Social Care Complaints Team)
01452 427388 (Children’s Services Complaints Team)

Need help?

If you need guidance on how and where to direct a complaint, get in touch with Healthwatch Gloucestershire

My complaint still hasn't been resolved

If after going through the complaints process you are still unhappy with the response you have received, the final route you can take depends upon what service your complaint is about.  The Ombudsman services are free, fair and independent.

Health complaints

For complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and UK government departments and other public organisations.

Office opening hours: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm (except public holidays)

Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Social care complaints

For complaints about councils, all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) and some other organisations providing local public services.

Office opening hours: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.00pm (except public holidays)

Telephone: 0300 061 0614